[ubuntu-uk] New Ubuntu LTSP installation at Exwick Community Centre - Exeter, Devon

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 14:15:57 BST 2008

Kris Douglas wrote:
> Is a Demon server really needed for a thing like this, wouldn't a
> powerful desktop be able to handle something like this? You can get
> some damn powerful machines in the range of a few hundred quid,
> nowadays. But you can't beat a good poweredge 2650 :)

Well when I was working on the spec of the kit for the Exwick Community
Centre I originally spec'd up a quad core desktop system with 4GB ram in
a rack mount case which was a whole load cheaper than the Dell box
(about a third of the price at least!).  If I do another such project I
will probably just go down the cheap desktop route, again probably a
quad core as the prices are so cheap now, but it probably won't be a
hefty server.

I could have done with a slightly higher spec machine for myself
actually.  I've just started working on my own business again and
secured some office space.  My server is an old Dell PowerEdge 2400 with
512MB Ram, 3 x 18GB SCSI hard drives and a whopping 733MHz P3 CPU.  It
does have the capability for dual CPU's so I'm going to chuck another
one in.  Sure it's slow but it seems fine so far and it was free.  I'm
hoping it'll be able to run an internal helpdesk system for a couple of
radio stations I have a support contract for.

Rob