[ubuntu-uk] What would you like in a book..

Darren Mansell darren at vcoc.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 17:09:50 BST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:27:01 +0100, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> Whilst I appreciate that not everyone likes books in dead-tree form, some

> do, so let's focus this on that group of people who do.
>
> I've been wondering if there's a set of Ubuntu related topics that are
not

> covered, or not covered well in the current set of books available.
>
> What would you like out of an Ubuntu book?
>
> Would you like to see tutorials, how-tos and guides for specific tasks,
> which would form a reference?
>
> Would you prefer a book that you could read cover to cover, to go from
> "zero
> to hero"?
>
> What do you think _others_ might like out of an Ubuntu book?
>
> What topic do you think would be appropriate?
>
> What do you think would not be appropriate?
>
> Answers welcome!
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

I remember reading the Linux Network Administrators Guide and it gave me a
perfect introduction into Linux. That book translated entirely into the
Debian/Ubuntu way of doing things would be perfect.

Also theres not loads on the web about how debian specific tools like
update-alternatives work etc.

Finally I think it would be a great idea to really make it modern and go a
lot into GUI based tasks, recoding video and audio files, audio
fingerprinting, gnome / KDE configuration etc.

Theres so much that could be included and lots of the old howtos on the web
for many things have been superseded by Debian ways and modern packages.