[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu for $20

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Jul 12 08:46:56 BST 2008

I agree, Alan.

My first distro was actually Lycoris (formerly Redmond Linux) which
was one of the first attempts to make a "Windows-esque distro"... soon
my near neighbour Martin "Santa Claus" Wheeler was on my doorstep with
a SuSE box set which he sold me for £15, siting that the manuals were
worth that alone.  Never really liked SuSE much and eventually settled
for Red Hat 9.

Had never managed to get certain things working, though, and that used
to really bug me.  One day at a LUG meeting somebody brought along a
copy of Warty Warthog and we tried installing on my laptop -
remarkably everything worked out of the box, which blew me away!  I
also discovered I preferred Gnome to KDE and have never looked back.

Sean