[ubuntu-uk] News for the podcast

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 11 17:26:40 BST 2008

David Futcher wrote:
> 2008/7/10 Johnathon Tinsley <kirrus at kirrus.co.uk>:

>> Alan Pope wrote:
>> | Hi all,
>> |
>> | We'll be recording episode 10 of the Ubuntu UK Podcast shortly. Have any
>> | of you seen any Ubuntu/Linux/FLOSS related news recently that we might
>> | want to include or talk about?
>>
>> Maybe a easily-understandable version of what the DNS flaw was, and how
>> it has been fixed...
>>
>> Johnathon
>

> +1 on this. I still dont have a clue what happened. Would be very useful
> listening!

Dan Kaminsky isn't saying - yet:  http://www.doxpara.com/

El Reg thinks it's probably a variant of a known vulnerability:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/09/dns_bug_student_discovery/

though Dan Kaminsky and commentators suggest Dan's discovery is the ease
with which the DNS server can be hijacked (one described it as 'point
and click' simplicity).

So, while it would be good to hear an exposition on the podcast, Al can
be forgiven for not having much source material!

HTH

Mac