[ubuntu-uk] run Windows XP in Ubuntu

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 11 06:50:57 BST 2008

taufanlubis wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 18:04 +0100, norman wrote:
>
>> I have hit a snag. Using synaptic, I installed VirtualBox and it
>> certainly starts up OK. However, after setting things up, I cannot start
>> the virtual set up but get an error message saying that I am missing
>> some kernel file. I must have missed something but I am not sure what it
>> is. Could you help me please.
>>
>> Norman
>>

> If you are running VirtualBox with Gutsy there will be no problem.

Taufan >>> 'Fraid there is a problem.  After reading your articles (good
stuff - thanks!) did a sudo aptitude install virtualbox to install the
current version from the gutsy repos.  During the install I got

Setting up virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.22-14-generic (6) ...
  * Starting VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv 	FATAL: Module vboxdrv not
found.
  * Modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, my current Gutsy install
has kernel 2.6.22-15-generic

I guess this may be the issue.  Certainly, others have had the same problem:

(The solution there was to install from the Virtualbox 1.6 binary - not
something I want to follow up just now.)

Can anyone cast light on why there's a problem with the version in the
repos?  Is it the difference in the kernels?

Mac