[ubuntu-uk] BBC News - Stallman

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 10:29:28 BST 2008

On 04/07/2008, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:
>  I don't suppose anyone knows of any good articles that have been
>  released under the GNU FDL or Creative Commons share-a-like licence that
>  explain Free and Open Source (or just Free) Software to someone who has
>  grown up in a Microsoft world and doesn't understand it (and more to the
>  point thinks that distributing Free Software isn't legal?).

For a nice, shiny introduction to linux and free software try:
http://www.getgnulinux.org/

For a longer introduction to FLOSS, see Linux Australia's guide at:
http://www.linux.org.au/linux

And their education specific one at:
http://www.linux.org.au/education

For a more technical and very thorough examination of FLOSS see:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FLOSS_Concept_Booklet

I've also created a leaflet for advocating free software to new users
in my area, although it's not yet ready for distribution (I'm not sure
if I can use the floating gnu image for starters). But you are free to
take whatever is useful from it:
http://lucybridges.co.uk/leaflets/

I'm sure there's loads more available online, but those are the ones I
could think of right now.