[ubuntu-uk] BBC News - Stallman

Bruce Beardall bruce72 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 09:42:06 BST 2008

This is our greatest challenge. Articles and education about free software
in publications such as Linux Format / Magazine / Journal are all well and
good but they're largely preaching to the converted. What we need is to
spread the word in the wider field. There are still far too many people who
don't even know free (as in freedom) software exists nor that it's
available.

I think it's time we considered an ongoing campaign, something like an "Ask
me about Linux" day. That's just something off the top of my head but maybe
an advertising campaign where everyone, organisations and individuals alike
can make contributions? I don't know if these are viable ideas but it
strikes me that education is the key. If enough people start asking about
it, even the monolith that is the BBC will have to take note.

Bruce