[ubuntu-uk] fsck

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jan 30 22:42:01 GMT 2008

London School of Puppetry wrote:

> On 29/01/2008, *Tony Arnold* <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
> <mailto:tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk>> wrote:
>

>     Chris Bannister wrote:
>     > On 29/01/08 19:53, London School of Puppetry wrote:
>     >
>     >> Can someone tell me the code for doing a manual fsck check?
>     >
>     > Unless you need it to do something specific you just need to run
>     >
>     > fsck /dev/device_name
>     >
>     > as root or via sudo (replacing /dev/device_name with the real
>     device of
>     > course)
>
>     fsck will complain if the device is mounted. It will continue if you let
>     it but it warns that it may cause severe file system damage. I suggest
>     you boot from a live CD and then run fsck from there.
>
>     Regards,
>     Tony.
>

> Oh.....I put in fsck and it all came to life and it took several hours.
> Everything fine now.
> How will I know if damage has been done?

Did you get some messages from fsck on the problems it found and fixed?
Was the file system mounted at the time?

You could try running fsck again, ensuring the file system is not
mounted and see if it produces further errors, if it reports it clean.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold