[ubuntu-uk] External drive is stuck at read-only.

Joshua Scotton josh at JoshuaScotton.com
Tue Jan 29 11:25:10 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 02:01 +0000, Tom Bamford wrote:
> Andrew Jenkins wrote:
> > Daniel Davies wrote:

> > > This could be to do with unmounting. Did you unmount the drives properly
> > > before disconnecting them?
> > > Right click; Unmount device or Eject.
> > > Daniel Davies
> > >

> > I'm pretty certain I did but then we all make mistakes.  If that's what
> > caused it how
> > do I put it right (without a reformat that is)?
> >
> > Andy.
> >

> What type of filesystem is on the disk? Running an fsck on the
> filesystem may cure the problem (an ext3 or reiser filesystem may have
> a corrupt/unclean journal which can be fixed at the possible cost of
> the last few files written to it). Moreso with larger drives, I've
> found that unmounting takes a long time when there are lots of
> unwritten data pending, if you don't allow it to complete the effects
> can be devastating.
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Hear, hear...
I find that when my usb drives go read-only, it's either nautilus
playing up or a small corruption on the drive.
In the first case I do `killall nautilus`, in the second I unmount the
drive and then do `fsck /dev/sdb1 -a` where sdb1 points to the read-only
partition

Regards,

Josh

--