[ubuntu-uk] External drive is stuck at read-only.

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 10:08:11 GMT 2008

On 28/01/2008, Andrew Jenkins <andrew.jenkins at bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I've recently been playing with a NAS drive. To set
> it up I had it connected as an external USB drive.
> All was going well, fdisk, mkfs, etc. and I moved a
> couple of Gb of files to it.
>
> After I disconnected it and plugged it back into my
> machine it suddenly decided to be a read-only file
> system.  I remember a pen-drive of mine doing the
> same thing and I ended up having to redo the mkfs to
> cure it.  This isn't a problem with a 512Mb pen
> drive but with a 500Gb drive with over 100Gb of files
> already on there it's not really an option.
>
> Any other answers?  I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 (Gnome).
>
> Andy Jenkins.

Hi Andy,

I have the same problem with my drive. I unmounted it properly, and
still had the problem. I haven't found a solution yet, but I did find
a work-around.

Run "sudo chown <user>:\ /media/<mountpoint>" in a terminal, and
you're able to write to the drive again.

Obviously, change <user> to your username, and <mountpoint> to the
directory at which the drive is automounted. E.g. my command was
actually "sudo chown neil:\ /media/FREECOM".

HTH. I'm interested in any long-term solution too.

Hwyl,
Neil.