[ubuntu-uk] ATI X700 status "not in use".

C L Chatfield me at chrischatfield.com
Sun Jan 27 07:19:59 GMT 2008

My son wants me to build a game box for him, what video card
would you recommend for use with Ubuntu, I am also looking for a similar
card that fit's agp slot.
On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 23:28 -0800, EricM wrote:
> Stuart,
> Thanks for your nice suggestion. However I've already tried to get my Ubuntu
> installed with the X86 CD and that one switched my screen to black as well.
> The only thing left is that I didn't realize the complete X86 installation
> with an alternative CD. Regarding the problem with the normal X86 I'm not
> convinced that your suggestion will sove my problem. Still I'll will keep it
> in mind as a final option worth trying.
>
> Eric
>
> Stuart Bird wrote:
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > Just a couple of thoughts that may help you out.
> >
> > I would seriously consider trying the 32 bit installation. It will work
> > well with the 64 bit chip but you won't (or shouldn't ) experience as many
> > driver issues. Bear in mind that 64 bit support, even in the MS world is
> > still on the ropey side so even the major manufacturers (such as ATI and
> > NVIDIA) are still very much playing catch up on the linux side. It may be
> > worth a go before you spend your hard earned on a new card.
> >
> > In the main I have had more success with NVIDIA cards under linux than I
> > have ATI, however my Dell laptop has an Radeon 9800m in it and that works
> > great with the commercial drivers installed on Ubnuntu 7.10. A couple of
> > mouse clicks and I was away. That having been said, if I were looking to
> > for a replacement card I would probably go for NVIDIA as it's my
> > perception that the linux support is better.
> >
> > For the price of a DVD and some bandwidth I would try the 32 bit route
> > first although someone on here may be able different.
> >
> > Hope that helps a bit.
> >
> > Stu

Confidentiality notice:
This email (and any documents attached to it) is confidential and is
intended for use only by the named recipients.
Information contained or attached may not be disclosed to any person who
is not a named recipient without the prior
written consent of Christopher L Chatfield, Cheltenham.
If you are not a named recipient, then please notify us, destroy this
email and keep no copies.
Thank you for your co-operation.
..
email: me at chrischatfield.com
freephone: 44-800-0-664-813 from UK 0800-0-664-813
ICQ= 424376924 Google Instant Messaging =
chris.l.chatfield at Googlmail.com