[ubuntu-uk] Home network configuration

Mark Allison home at markallison.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 07:41:04 GMT 2008

Thanks to everyone for your advice and help. I have managed to set up
the ubuntu server as a transparent caching proxy with web content
filtering. This is what I did:

Bought a netgear gigabit wireless router and a gigabit network card
for the ubuntu server. I configured the network as follows

Internet->DSL Modem->Ubuntu Server->netgear wireless router->Home LAN
(wired and wireless)

On the Ubuntu server I installed squid, dansguardian and shorewall to
configure the firewall. Works great and I can use the ubuntu server
for other things. The DSL modem has a firewall in it also so I am
double firewalled which is nice.

Thanks for all your help - I feel like I've achieved something setting
that lot up as I'm not a sysadmin.

Thanks,
Mark.