[ubuntu-uk] Sending Gnome popup notifications over a network...

Joshua Scotton josh at JoshuaScotton.com
Thu Jan 10 21:22:18 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 19:40 +0000, Kris Douglas wrote:

> On 10/01/2008, Dave Walker <davewalker at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>         Kris Douglas wrote:
>         <SNIP>
>         > Hi, I got the following:
>         >
>         > media at media-centre-1:~$ DISPLAY=:0;
>         XAUTHORITY=~owner_of:0/.Xauthority;
>         > export DISPLAY XAUTHORITY
>         > media at media-centre-1:~$ notify-send "title message" "Message
>         body
>         > text"         libnotify-Message: Unable to get session bus:
>         dbus-launch
>         > failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: Xlib: connection to ":
>         0.0" refused
>         > by server
>         > Xlib: No protocol specified
>         >
>         > Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
>         <SNIP>
>
>         Try,
>
>         sudo apt-get install dbus-x11
>
>         Kind Regards,
>         Dave Walker
>
>         --
>         ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Hi, according to the machine that's already installed...
>
> thanks for the idea though.
>
> --
> Kris Douglas
>       Softdel Limited Hosting Services
>
>       Web: www.softdel.net
>       Mail: kris at softdel.net

I was getting the same error message until I changed this part
XAUTHORITY=~owner_of:0/.Xauthority;
XAUTHORITY=/home/user/.Xauthority;

where user was the username of the person logged on and using screen :0

then it worked a treat

Josh

--
My PGP public key: