[ubuntu-uk] IDE Flash Card Readers - Recommendations

Tom Bamford tom at entrepreneuria.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 18:06:36 GMT 2008

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 15:47 +0000, Tom Bamford wrote:
> <snip />
>
>> However, recent versions of Ubuntu have shown all my laptop drives,
>> including CF memory cards, as SCSI devices (/dev/sd* as opposed
>> to /dev/hd*). My desktop dies a horrible death if I try to do the same
>> with one of its hard drives, which are still shown as
>> traditional /dev/hd* devices. Hope this helps shed some light.
>>

> This is to do with the new(er) versions of kernel 2.6 - now all HDDs are
> displayed as /dev/sd* regardless of whether they are IDE, SCSI or SATA.
> I can't remember the reasoning behind it, however I remember thinking
> "that makes sense" at the time!
>
> HTH,

Yeah it's something to do with the scsi/sata drivers now handling IDE
devices, it caused me some grief at first because I used to hot-swap my
laptop drives with a KDE utility which stopped working (I since found
the /sys/class tree which I can use to add and remove controllers). But
my desktop still has /dev/hd* devices and it's running the exact same
Ubuntu kernel as my lappy. I don't really understand but as long as it
works I'm happy :-)

Regards,
Tom