[ubuntu-uk] Samba problems.
c.humphrey_00 at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 12:18:46 GMT 2008
'what's wrong how can I fix it'
Just a few things,
- Can you see your linux box in your XP's network neighborhood?
- You may need to create an entry in the lmhosts file.
- Have you tried to locate your linux box using windows' search function (either by ip
or computer name).
- Have you tried commands like 'nmblookup -A computer name/ip address'.
- You could try to check whether ports 137(default port) or 445 are open using
I had a similar prob but after a bit of googling and t-shooting I now have a basic share working. My problem was that I could see the linux machine in the windows work group but not connect to it.
I cannot speak with great authority on SAMBA but I would say that my entry in lmhosts as per attached link and following instructions in the other tutorials/guides helped. Just as in windows you have to select and 'share' a folder so to in linux.
http://handsonhowto.com/2007/what-is-samba/ # link about config file
http://instantbadger.blogspot.com/2006/07/xp-home-client-linux-domain-controller.html #above link about lmhosts
p.s. I can browse from xp to linux but have not yet tried linux to xp //no time.
Also I am not sure how secure you want the share to be - but I hope that helps.
Get Hotmail on your mobile, text MSN to 63463!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ubuntu-uk