[ubuntu-uk] df and du give different results

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 11:42:03 GMT 2008

> >> Chris,
> >>
> >> Have you tried df -hi to show the number of free inodes on the system?
> >> It should help to reveal whether it's a problem with the number of
> >> inodes used or just hidden files or something..
> >>

> > Hi Lucy,
> >
> > I think the inode usage is OK. I tried yesterday and it read 8%.
> >
> > Thanks for the idea though.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> I could just be slack space. The disk is allocated in  clusters of, say,
> 4K (though it could be much bigger),
> If only 2K of a cluster is used, it still uses 4K of space. If there are
> a lot of small files on the drive, the % of slack space is a killer.

That's really interesting actually.

The web server holds over 18 thousand images, mostly of around a
hundred and odd kilobytes..... Your explanation would make perfect
sense.

dumpe2fs reports a block size of 4096. It's not hard to imagine that
with that may small files, there will be some loss.

By jove you might have cracked it!

Thank you

Chris