[ubuntu-uk] df and du give different results

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:01:41 GMT 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 3:53 PM, Stuart Bird <e_tective at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Chris
>

> "The volume at media is a Windows based NTFS"
>
> So is mine (attached via USB). The hidden trash file is still created on it
> though. I have only recently discovered this "feature" so I am not sure why
> it happens but it can be annoying. Of course it may not be related to your
> issue but it's handy to know.

Hi again Stu,

Thanks for replying :-) I suppose if the .trash folder had been
created on the attached device, the space would have been lost from
the attached device, rather than from my server's hard disk though
wouldn't it? I seem to remember having a similar problem with a
digital camera, were when I deleted pictures from it in Ubuntu, I
never got the disk space back. Like you say, it was caused by a .trash
folder.

> "I'd have thought du would show the file if it was just hidden though
> wouldn't it ?"
>
> I would have thought so too. I am not at my home box right now so can't test
> it for you. If you haven't resolved the issue by the time I get home I will
> gladly run a few tests and see what results I get.
>
> Stu

That'd be cool if you wouldn't mind too much. I have tried looking for
the .trash folder on the server here though and couldn't find it.

Cheers

Chris