[ubuntu-uk] df and du give different results

Stuart Bird e_tective at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 14:53:47 GMT 2008

Chris

Have a poke around for hidden ".trash" folders, particularly on mounted media such as USB/Firewire hard drives. I have found that Ubuntu has a habit of creating these on such volumes and they do not appear to get emptied by the usual processes. I have often thought I had deleted files then realised that my disc space had not increased as a result, it was always a hidden trash file that was the culprit. Manually deleting the files from the trash files usually gets rid of them.

It may be the large volume you have at /media? that is hiding such a file. I'm not sure why that "hidden" data wiuld not be seen by df and du though?

HTH

Stu