[ubuntu-uk] dual boot

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:06:40 GMT 2008

norman wrote:
> ( snip )
>
>> I don't know if it helps at all, but my menu.lst is set up with this at
>> the end (automagically added, not manually by me, I might add):
>>
>> title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>> root		(hd0,0)
>> savedefault
>> makeactive
>> chainloader	+1
>>
>> I don't know if the extra lines "savedefault" or "makeactive" would get
>> rid of the error message, just posting this as an example of a working
>> grub menu item! (My dual-boot is from the same hdd, windows and then
>> ubuntu partitions).
>
> I have 2 discs so this probably would not apply but thanks for the
> suggestion.
>>
>> Were you following instructions from this list or an online how-to?
>
> I cannot remember whether it was from this list or another I must do
> some more research.
>>
>> Good luck sorting the issue out,
>
> Thank you
>
> Norman

Norman >>> This is the last section of my menu.lst

title              Windows XP
root               (hd1,1)
savedefault
makeactive
map                (hd0) (hd1)
map                (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader        +1

I've got Ubuntu on hd0 (the 'first' hard drive) and Windows is on hd1.
Windows will refuse to boot if it isn't in the first partition of the
first drive. That's why we trick windows to make it think it's there
with the map lines, which remap the drive numbers for windows.

NB:  My "root" value - hd1,1 (not hd1,0) - is to jump over a small
partition that Dell puts at the start of its drives to get to the main
partition where Windows is.

Are you sure Windows is in the first partition of the drive it's on, and
you don't need to jump over something?

HTH

Mac