[ubuntu-uk] Can I use a desktop PC as a network hub?

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 13:05:05 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:58 PM, James Grabham <jgrabham at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Right, Im setting up a p3 800mhz 256mb box as a firewall, file server, media
> player and to use for other stuff.
>
> Now I will have
>
> Modem>PC>old wireless router
>
> If I do this, I will have all network traffic coming at it through a single
> 10/100 connection.
>
> Instead of plugging all my wired computers into the router, can I shove some
> more NICs into the srever, and plug them into this, making it act as a hub
> as well.
>
> So Id have eth0 eth1 eth2
>
> Will this work.
>
> Will I need patch or crossover cables.
>

> All help much appreciated.

That would work well, we have a similar system that basically
firewalls a router, with a web based interface that lets me change
settings.

If you have pci wireless cards you can use ubuntu as a wireless AP.
Additionally, as you can firewall the interfaces on the machine you
could also use it as a hub.

By installing Samba you are able to share the files over the network.

I couldn't personally tell you how to configure the interfaces for
sharing the internet connection, or the firewall configuration, but it
is possible.

--
Kris Douglas
 Softdel Limited Hosting Services