[ubuntu-uk] Google Funds Work for Photoshop on Linux

Johnathon Tinsley kirrus at kirrus.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 22:54:01 GMT 2008

----- "Gavin Ford" <revford at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:51:24PM +0000, Jai Harrison wrote:
> > Is this is what the effects of a difficult user interface in the
> GIMP are?
>
> I really like the interface on The GIMP and it does everything I need,
> but there
> are some features that photographers working in print need that the
> GIMP doesn't
> yet have.
>
> Why google are spending money on WINE and Photoshop rather than adding
> those
> features to GIMP I don't know.
>
> It would seem to me that adding these features to GIMP would provide
> them to
> everyone for free forever, while propping up WINE+Photoshop is only
> good for
> owners of the current version of Photoshop.

By design, WINE is complete when it can replicate and translate all of windows programming system signals. By doing this, google will make the entire WINE base a bit more stable, rather than less, which means this will probably help many more programs become more compatible than just Photoshop.

Johnathon

--
Blog: http://www.kirrus.co.uk
UK Plone Hosting: http://www.plone-hosting.co.uk