[ubuntu-uk] 'The One': new low-priced laptop with linux inside

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 18:57:14 GMT 2008

John Levin wrote:

> Anyone have any idea what distro
> it will be running?
>
> John

According to The Inquirer (link:
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/20/elonex-100-laptop-specs-leaked)
it's going to be running Debian.

At first I thought it might be Arm based since Debian has an Arm port
(and because ARM chips are low power, cheap etc) but then I found
details of the Vortex86 system on a chip, I haven't got the link to the
site I found earlier (I submitted it to the comments on The Inquirer but
it's not come up at the moment), but I found this...

http://www.vortex86sx.com/products.html

It fits the bill, the other site was talking about an embedded PC board
with 128MB DDR2 memory on there, so I assume they might have been able
to either use a load of these boards (iirc the size was about 3 inches
square) or some custom made.

Rob