[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Server - sys req?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 16:04:46 GMT 2008

Quoting Eddie Armstrong <eddie_armstrong at ntlworld.com>:

> Thanks you all for your comments - very interesting - so it seems I'll
> be safe.
> The suggested PC is my current desktop minus all the goodies I've been
> adding for the last 10 years - I'll be putting them on the new-er one (I
> like to recycle)
> The suggested server is a PIII 700MHZ with 768MB RAM (old pc133, IIRC an
> old Dell that is now maxed out for memory) - I have an old 32MB nvidia
> graphics card I could reinstall- would that be ANY use at all :-)  ?

Not sure if you'd need the 32MB card, does it have on-board video?

> It won't take new-fangled (i.e. three generations old) graphics cards
> because of the power supply unit (wind-up model with crank handle)
> HDD will be about 19GB for system etc + 2nd drive(s) for files.

Are you going to run software raid on the hard drives?  I don't
personally on my server but I take the risk that things can die (they
have before) but I don't really store anything too important on my
server, mainly media files.

> BIG Q: If I am running a basic filesharing + Apache _ testing/learning
> things like web-site, Moodle/Plone  I would also  want possibly two
> streams of FLAC audio in the future one for me and one for my partner
> (taste clash)

Do you need to run FLAC streams?  AFAIK FLAC is more CPU hungry when
compressing audio.  OGG might be a good solution which will give you
fairly good quality (I find it's fine for streaming to a pair of
desktop or laptop speakers).

I would have thought file sharing, Apache and Moodle would be fine.
To give you an example, my home server runs Ubuntu 6.10 (I'm going to
upgrade to 8.04 LTS when it's released), it has about 640MB memory,
and I IIRC an 800MHz Athlon CPU.  It runs Samba for file sharing,
OpenSSH Server and Apache (just for the sake of it).  It also runs
VMWare Server which runs another server installation which does my
e-mails (so it's basically two machines in one).  All this runs fine
for a couple of users.

> Would I need separate drives,(separate servers, separate homes)? I'm not
> sure how a drive would cope with all that streaming (pre SATA, I'm afraid)
> As I only have space for two IDE drives - I was going to use expansion
> slots for USB 2.0 card(built-in are only USB 1), graphics card card and
> Ethernet to wi-fi router.

Unless you're trying to stream bandwidth hungry files (such as HD
videos) then I'm sure a couple of users grabbing files from the
machine will be fine.  I take it Apache isn't going to be heavily used
if it's for testing?

> I'm actually cannibalising some old pcs for this - I'll keep the P4 for
> my desktop then :-)  and bung er, install all my goodies into it.
> Nice Vid, btw, Andrew (assuming you are the same Mr Oakley)

I was impressed too that all that runs on a 1.5GHz machine.  Did it
use some sort of desktop video recording or a TV output into a video
capture card?

Rob