[ubuntu-uk] No login screen when booting

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Sun Dec 28 13:40:41 GMT 2008

I set up a virtual machine in Virtual Box for Ubuntu 8.04. I also
installed into that the Kubuntu desktop. When it booted it had the kdm
login screen, but I could log in to Gnome okay. When I looked at the
Services list, I deselected kdm (gdm was selected) and then the GUI
disappeared and I had to reboot the virtual machine. When I log in to it
now, I get no login screen, just a command prompt asking me to login. I
do so and then type "sudo gdm" and the normal gdm login screen appears
and I can login normally using that.

But how do I get it back to having the gdm login screen appear
automatically is it normally would on any Ubuntu installation?

David King