[ubuntu-uk] killed box through /var :P

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 15:56:43 GMT 2008

Farran,

Farran wrote:

> I have just set up a new partition table, with 30gb at /, 15gb at
> /media/Work, 3gb at /root, 253gb at /home and 8gb swap. I am not
> formatting /home or swap, but when I get to the final step of
> installation where it tells me what it's gonna do, it says it will
> format 4 partitions. Should I be worried, or does 'formatting' include
> renaming and mounting partitions?

Formatting will destroy any data already in those partitions. If you are
using an exsiting partition for any of the above and you want to keep
what is on it then you need to tell the partitioner not to format it. If
it's a new partition then formatting is required.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk