[ubuntu-uk] killed box through /var :P

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Dec 22 14:31:46 GMT 2008

Farran,

Matthew Wild wrote:

>> 4 would it be best to generate an install list from synaptic so I know what
>> I've got, and do a clean install with a larger partition? (and how would I
>> do this through aptitude command line - I have no gui at all now).
>
> dpkg -l > packages.txt
>
> However if dpkg is in a bad state, this may not work.
>
>> I'm thinking number 4 would be easiest and better for my ubuntu - but I want
>> my pc working cos I'm just about to get internet in my room
>>

> If you have backups, and are really in a mess, a clean install isn't
> too far-fetched. It can take less time to do that than you'll spend
> fixing it. The catch is the going through the configuration and
> installation all over again. However I personally reinstall (at least)
> every 6 months anyway, and it doesn't really bother me (I enjoy it,
> even :) )

I agree with Matt. Also during a fresh install you can choose to have
/var in a separate partition to /. You may need to use the manual
partitioning option.

You might also want to consider using Logical Volume Manager (LVM). You
will need to read up on it, if you get to grips with it, it will allow
you to resize logical volumes (file systems reside in a logical volume
as opposed to a physical partition) much more easily.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk