[ubuntu-uk] creating a USB startup disk

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Mon Dec 22 00:16:32 GMT 2008

I have created my live USB Ubuntu flash drive, which is certainly now
bootable, so nothing wrong with the drive itself. But, it had an error
when booting about not finding the linux kernel. I will have to
investigate further when I have the time, but at least I know that the
flash drive is bootable.

But I do not see why the Ubuntu program to create a USB startup disk did
not work in making the flash drive bootable, whereas the "Install Live
USB" program which I used did make it bootable. I also noticed that this
latter program divides the flash drive into two partitions, which makes
more sense than the Ubuntu startup program, so that there is a main
bootable partition and a second partition for the home directory and
files which is persistent.

David King