[ubuntu-uk] BBC Iplayer download on Linux

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Sun Dec 21 09:39:31 GMT 2008

I have had no real problems with using the 64-bit version of Ubuntu. I
too have 4 GB of RAM. I also run virtual systems in Virtual Box and
VMware. If I want to run a 32-bit program that does not run in 64-bit
Ubuntu, I can run it in a 32-bit virtual Ubuntu. Although some will run
on 64-bit quite happily whilst for others special steps need to be taken
to get them working, as with Adobe Air.

Overall I am very happy with 64-bit Ubuntu. Java works too, so you would
still be able to use that.

I do not see why more people do not use 64-bit operating systems. The
CPUs on all new PCs are now 64-bit, so why not have 64-bit OS?
Especially as in Linux there are often 64-bit versions of software or
otherwise there are workarounds. I think that in the Windows world there
just is not much software for 64-bit Windows so people stick to 32-bit.
This is where Linux triumphs over Windows.

David King