[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Server interface

Graham Binns graham at grahambinns.com
Thu Dec 18 14:02:13 GMT 2008

2008/12/18 Stephen Garton <sheepeatingtaz at gmail.com>:
> 2008/12/18 Dave Walker <DaveWalker at ubuntu.com>:
> <snip>
>> The most obvious reason I can think that would cause this, is adding a
>> new user using "useradd" rather than the more useful "adduser".  Can you
>> confirm how the user was added?
>
> Dave,
>
> I'm afraid I can't at the moment, the person who set it up has gone
> away for christmas!

To see if this was the problem (and maybe fix it) you could do:

 $ cp -r /etc/skel/* ~

as the user in question. That will copy the contents of /etc/skel,
such as .bashrc, across into the user's home directory. If Daviey was
right about this source of the problem this may solve it.

--
Graham Binns | PGP Key: 4DAD18FA