[ubuntu-uk] gradual Distribution update

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Dec 10 20:29:56 GMT 2008

2008/12/10 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>:
> Try apt-get update -d
>
> The -d switch means that it just downloads updates but doesn't install
> them.  That way you can say download a few updates and then if she turns
> the PC off you can just start it again.  I'm sure there's a more elegant
> way of doing it but this is how I'd do it if I was in a hurry.

Good idea. I do this too.

When I upgraded my eeepc from 8.10 to 9.04 I edited my sources.list,
then did an apt-get update, and dist-upgrade with the -d option. I
then flicked the sources list back to 8.10 lines. Then I run the
"right" way to upgrade either using update manager or
do-release-upgrade. Those tools will re-use the downloaded packages on
the local machine.

Cheers,
Al.