[ubuntu-uk] Window border corruption & other problems with Compiz

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Sat Dec 6 22:33:12 GMT 2008

Rob Beard wrote:
> Tony Travis wrote:
>> I'm interested in the PS3 as a cheap way of getting my hands on a Cell
>> processor (PowerPC + 8SPE's). Ubuntu runs on it, and I'm interested in
>> finding out how good it is for bioinformatics. I nearly bought one at
>> half the price when I was in Canada, but it would not work in the UK.
>>
> Wouldn't it?
>
> I'm sure with a step down transformer and HDMI to DVI cable (and a DVI
> monitor) it would work just fine, just not play games from this region,
> but hey if you want to run Linux on it then that won't matter so much.

Hello, Rob.

Yes, they suggested similar things to me in the shop in Calgary, but I
thought it would be better to buy one in the UK. Telling me that the
warranty would be void in Scotland hastened my decision not to buy ;-)

> Not sure how great is is though with only about 256MB ram.  I guess you
> could enable swap.  Shame you can't stick extra memory in there.

Well it's 512MB in total, but you're right that only 256MB can be used
for 'conventional' software. I've got to admit that this aspect also put
me off, so I didn't rush out to buy one when I got back home. I'm still
interested in the PS3 as a cheap way of exploring the Cell processor:

http://us.fixstars.com/store/index.php?submit=software&submitimg[hardware][solutions]=1

Of course the first thing I would do is install Ubuntu on it :-)

[YDL is OK, actually, and I used it on a MacG4, before Ubuntu for PPC]

Bye,

	Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK