[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Servers

Simon Wears munkyjunky at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 2 19:14:04 GMT 2008

I went down to MicroDirect earlier today, and bought myself a shiny new
Intel Quad Core Q6600, clocking at 2.4Ghz per core. I was so happy to be
finally replacing my 2.6Ghz Celeron (single core), which struggles to even
do 2+2 it seems. I got back into my flat, and replaced the CPU, only to find
out that although my motherboard supported Quad Core CPU's, it seemed to
support every one but the Q6600. Needless to say, I was very unhappy to have
wasted my money.

Now, I've put it into a MSI P965 Neo board (which hates linux when you have
both SATA and PATA drives plugged in) and it runs incredibly well. My load
average is 0.05, 0.06, 0.03. Big shock for me, I'm used to load averages of
2.00+ ! Now, I'm going to install Ubuntu Server on this new machine, and I
was wondering what is recommended for this CPU. It's 64-bit, so should I get
the 64 bit server, or the 32 bit server? I seem to recall reading that the
64 bit desktop is kinda buggy, but the 64 bit server is fantastic.

Also, is their any significant difference in the 8.04 and 8.10 servers? I'm
more swaying towards the 8.04 Server, since its LTS, but if Intrepid server
is more awesomer then I'll go for that.

So, long story short:

32 bit or 64 bit server, and 8.04 or 8.10?

Cheers, Simon.