[ubuntu-uk] OT CPU Advice

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 16:46:54 GMT 2008

gav wrote:
> I've not really found a massive multi-core chip to be needed on a modern
> Linux desktop, recently I've moved over to an Atom processor on my desktop,
> this board:
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147222
>
> Works beautifully under Ubuntu and Debian for me and the whole system runs
> with an 80W power supply, rather than the hundreds of Watts these big rig
> machines use.

I guess it depends on what you use your machine for.  I *could* make use
of all 4 cores on the Phenom but not very often, juging by the system
monitor the majority of the time most of the cores were sat idle at
about 1.2GHz and it was only specific things I did that actually used
more than two cores.  I do however sometimes tax the system so I don't
think an Atom would meet my needs.  If I didn't play HD video on my
other half's PC then an Atom would probably do her.

I'm considering an Atom Dual Core for my server (it's currently running
an Athlon 1400) although I'm not sure what to do after reading this....
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-atom-efficiency,2069.html

Rob