[ubuntu-uk] OT CPU Advice

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 13:52:42 GMT 2008

On 1 Dec 2008, at 10:24, Darren Mansell wrote:

> I sold my EEE PC about 10 months ago and for (almost) the same money
> built
> a very respectable rig with bits from ebuyer. My spec was:
>
> Decent Abit mainboard
> AMD Athlon X2 4200+
> 2GB Corsair standard stuff
> 2 x 250GB Samsung SATA HDD's (in Linux software MD RAID 0, it rocks)
> dual layer DVD-+RW
> 19" wide HannsG monitor
> Good quality case from eBay with decent PSU
>
> It was a grand total of about £300 but I had to make sure I got good
> components. Most important is the PSU as Rob says. I've always liked
> Abit
> motherboards. Foxconn are actually pretty good from my experience.
> They
> used to make Intel's own brand boards, not sure if they still do.
>
> The disk speed makes this computer feel very fast.

I heard bad things about Foxconn boards and Linux a while ago, can't
remember if it was posted here.  I'm just a bit dubious now.

I'm currently running an Athlon X2 3800+ and that seems pretty quick
(I did have a Phenom X4 9600 but it died over the weekend and the
Athlon X2 was the only thing I had which could chuck in the board).  I
could also recommend the Pentium Dual Core chips as they're also
pretty quick (I had one before upgrading to the Phenom, it's now
sitting in my wife's PC).

Rob