[ubuntu-uk] Age and gender

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:47:46 BST 2008

On 28/08/2008, London School of Puppetry <lspinfo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there - I suppose my concern is not a personal need to join a group etc-
> but rather the impression an organisation makes- I think Ubuntu is great-
> and the support from the 'community'(male or female) helping me to make a
> necessity work - I am irritated by female Windows users I know who don't
> need it for games, sound and film editing and so COULD switch to Ubuntu but
> it seems such a big deal because of the atmos surrounding open source.an
> atmosphere that has never bothered me personally-I have to say!

Hmm, interesting. Why do computers create such fear in people? I've
known plenty of users who were scared of changing their basic
computing habits, never mind their OS. I've not considered the effect
that the perception of open source could have though, I thought that
was something which mainly affected large organisations.

I'd be interested to know whether people were put off using
linux/Ubuntu because it's 'open source' and why, and what we as a
community could do to change it.