[ubuntu-uk] Age and gender

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:12:09 BST 2008

On 28/08/2008, London School of Puppetry <lspinfo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Much relates to necessity and opportunity. As most management is male, then
> there will be fewer opportunities given to women.  But I know several women
> working in IT, and everyone I know uses computers to some extent.  I am the
> only person I know using Ubuntu- does the very concept 'open source'
>  smack of blokishness and nerdimen? Is it all a question of marketing?
> Rather than anything to do with how men and women respond to computer
> technology?

Well said! Those are some interesting questions. I think with so few
women currently in free/open source software then it's bound to have a
'blokishness' feel about it. I wonder if with the increase in
popularity of firefox and umpcs with linux, whether the 'nerdiness'
feel is going though?

I certainly think that 'marketing' of a sort has a lot to do with it.
If you were to attend a local LUG or other linux event that was 50%
female would it start feeling less 'blokish' to you or do you think
more would need to be done?