[ubuntu-uk] Age and gender

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:45:14 BST 2008

On 28/08/2008, Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:
>  What worries me about any thread such as this is that there is a
>  serious danger that we create allegations of discrimination when in
>  reality it's just the way it is - women are programmed differently to
>  men (no pun intended) and seem, from my observations at least, to
>  drift by default into different types of job to their male
>  counterparts.  The nursing profession, for instance, is dominated by
>  women whereas road builders and railway maintenance engineers appears
>  to be virtually a male domain.

Yes, and women aren't capable of being doctors either...

Saying that the reason women aren't interested in computers is because
they aren't interested doesn't really get us anywhere. There was a
good article explaining this unfortunately I can't find it now :/

Has it occurred, that like I said, the reasons for this are mostly
social pressures/upbringing?

There are some excellent articles explaining the subject, however the
only ones I can find right now is
and
http://campustechnology.com/articles/52710_1/

This is quite interesting too:
http://www.cra.org/govaffairs/blog/archives/000585.html It shows that
women /were/ interested at least.

I'm sorry if my tone has been a bit harsh, but it's a topic I'm quite
passionate about, yet find difficult to explain. It's also frustrating
when the same questions/comments keep coming up.