[ubuntu-uk] Radio Software

Chris Weaver chris at resonancefm.com
Fri Aug 22 13:22:58 BST 2008

Dear All,

Thanks for the wide range of useful answers. As Rob has mentioned it is a
legal requirement by the radio regulator in the U.K , to have 42 days of
audio available to hand over at a moments notice.

Many options to look over but (and I'm sure you've heard this line
before...) I'd prefer something with a GUI as I'm a relative newbie with
Ubuntu (although plenty of experience with OSX and Windows) and it's usefull
to visually montior the audio input levels.

Darklog looks like it has an excellent front end to retrieve the data.

The cron job solution could do the trick. I'm a right in thinking alas mixer
has a GUI?

Again thanks for the answers.

- Chris

2008/8/21 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>

> Robert McWilliam wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:50:22PM +0100, Chris Weaver wrote:
> >> Our legal logger - this is simply a application that records an mp3
> >> file from a live input creating a new file every 24 hours. Currently
> >> we use http://www.cooolsoft.com/mp3rec.htm but searching the
> >> linux-audio pages I'm unable to find a similar application.
> >>

> > The "legal" part of "legal recorder" has me a bit worried though: is
> > this system something needed by law? If so, exactly what is required?
> > What kind of reliability do you need? With a custom FOSS solution you
> > don't have a vendor to shift the blame on to if it all breaks horribly
> >
> >       Robert
>
> If it's anything like radio stations that broadcast on air (DAB, FM, AM)
> then it'll be a legal requirement from Ofcom to record output and keep
> copies for 42 days.  They tend to get a bit funny if you can't give them
> the audio they ask for and they can ask for any audio from any time in
> the day or night.  Sometimes it can get so bad that the station gets fined.
>
> When I worked at GCap we had our own in house logging software which
> kept copies on the local station site on the dedicated logging machine
> and also send copies back to the data centre for storage/retrieval with
> a disaster recovery option being a standard 4 hr VHS tape on long play.
>
> Rob

Chris Weaver
Production Manager
Resonance104.4FM