[ubuntu-uk] Geeks and Nerds

Dark Otter hello at darkotter.com
Sat Aug 2 22:04:15 BST 2008

As far as I've seen, the general opinion seems to be that a geek is
someone with particular skill in a special area, e.g. computing, whereas
nerd is a derogatory term for rather obsessive and often socially
dysfunctional people. There seems to be less differentiation between
younger people (particularly people at my school) compared to older
people who I know, and it is from the older people I know that this
clearer idea of the difference comes.

N.B. Following research on urbandictionary.com, this seems to be the
opposite way round in america.