[ubuntu-uk] Idea- Torrents!

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 11:34:53 BST 2008

Javad Ayaz wrote:
> Ok so im not sure if this is the right place for this..but im just
> thinking out loud.
>
> a device that will let your torrents downloading but yu can switch off
> your pc! torrents carry on downloading. External USB hard drives are
> available freely these days. So maybe something in buntu that will let
> the juice flow from the USB to the hard drive after the pc has been
> switched off.
>
> What do you think?

I seem to remember reading about such a device (although it might not be
exactly what you wanted).  Can't remember the name of it though.

One option though would be something like the Linksys NSLU2 which is as
far as I know is a Linux based device which has a couple of USB ports on
it for attaching hard drives.  I believe it can be modified to run a
version of Debian which in turn could run a bit torrent client.  It
would probably require a bit of hacking through a terminal but I'm sure
there are some good howto's on how to do it.

These links will probably get you started...

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/HomePage
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Torrent

I've not personally used one of these devices, but a couple of people
who have say they're really good and low powered.  IIRC the device
itself is about £50.

Rob