[ubuntu-uk] Low cost, low usage broadband suppliers

David Restall - System Administrator dave at restall.net
Sat Apr 26 12:15:12 BST 2008

Hi

is anybody aware  of a UK broadband supplier that has a product to
replace a standard dialup ?

I'm building a new desktop for my mum and she doesn't have broadband.
I'm going to set her up to use dialup but this is not going to be ideal.
What would be a better solution would be a low cost, ADSL connection with
a lower download speed and/or a bandwidth limitation, say 1M/s 2G/month.

The problem with dialup is the frequency of updates to Ubuntu - it's not
unusual to get 20MB of patches/packages, this is a pain over a 56k modem
but doable over a broadband connection.

All the broadband suppliers have wonderful offers on the face of it,
but they are for three months then they go up to 15-20 month.  This is
massive overkill for my 'old dear' who only wants to pick up and send
the odd email and sometimes surf the net.  She's not into mega-surfing
for hours on end, audio content or downloading massive movies (it took
me long enough to get her to get a digital TV and she still only watches
BBC News 24 on the digital side and she uses the analogue for the other
terrestrial channels).  I wouldn't call her a Luddite, but you know what
I mean :-)

Regards,

David
ubuntu/uk-2008-04-26.tx                                        ubuntu-uk
| Dave Restall, Computer Nerd, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger          |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : dave at restall.net                     Web : Not Ready Yet :-(       |
| The penalty for laughing in a courtroom is six months in jail; if it       |
| were not for this penalty, the jury would never hear the evidence.         |
|         -- H. L. Mencken                                                   |