[ubuntu-uk] Compiz and gtk-window-decorator

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Mon Apr 14 23:23:56 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 21:54 +0100, Tan Xuan You wrote:
> Each time, I tested by enabling compiz via the System menu, then
> restarting X by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. All the times I tested the
> window decorations didn't show up.

Hi,

One thing that may get you more information is to start with metacity,
i.e. no effects, and then open a terminal and run

  compiz --replace & disown

(the "& disown" bit is a good idea, as having an X terminal control
the window manager can lead to some bad things)

Then post the resulting output here, and search Google using the
suspicious messages. It seems like compiz has been tested on nearly
every chipset/driver/Xserver/kernel version, so normally the error
messages are known to Google.

The alternative is that this information is ~/.xsession-errors, but this
way you get all the bits that correspond to compiz.

Thanks,

James