[ubuntu-uk] Compiz and gtk-window-decorator

Tan Xuan You xuan.tan07 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 21:26:44 BST 2008

Hi all,

I think this has been a prevalent problem recently, yet I find myself
stumped by it.

Basically, whenever I enable any level of compiz using System ->
Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects, gtk-window decorator fails
to paint my window decorations. Titlebar, window border are all gone,
and gnome-terminal is a big white screen, no matter how I try to force
the settings.

I'm on a nVidia card, and the drivers seem to work fine (XPlane works).

I've tried the command line too..
"gtk-window-decorator --replace" gives
Gtk-WARNING: Cannot open display:

Installing emerald and running "emerald --replace" also gives the same
output, both in su and out of.

I've tried poking around with the settings in CCSM, but to no avail.

I'm on a clean upgrade of Gutsy Gibbon (7.10).

Any tips?

XuanYou