[ubuntu-uk] GRUB

Jason Liquorish jason at dropshock.com
Sat Apr 12 09:41:50 BST 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 09:25 +0100, Ken Adams wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have muddled my brain a bit.....
>
> I WAS running 7.04 on my machine. Then to keep a working system I
> installed 8.04 Beta on the same HD by resizing the HD etc. This gave
> Grub on the 8.04 control of booting.
>
> Then.........
>
> I decided to play with Mythbuntu and installed it, replacing the 7.04.
> This gave the Myth Grub control over booting.
>
> Now I want to get boot control back to the 8.04 grub
>
> HOW????
>
> My brain is beginning to boil.
>
> Rgds Ken

I recently had this problem and the following fixed it fine:

First I opened my /boot/grub/menu.lst on the partition I wanted to have
control over grub and found the bit that says what partition (its near
the bottom where all the operating systems are listed) it is on (hd0,1)
for me. Then I ran "sudo grub" and in the grub prompt "root (hd0,1)"
then "setup (hd0)" then "quit"

Then I ran "sudo update-grub" just to check that menu.lst had found
everything. You can read more about it on the wiki
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
Just be sure that you get the (hd,x) bits right and you should be fine.