[ubuntu-uk] The BBC Launches Wiiplayer??? WHAT!?

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Thu Apr 10 06:37:35 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk>
wrote:

> I'm fairly sure that technically, anyone who records a TV programme is
> in breach of copyright as they are if they rip a CD to their MP3 player,
> and yet TV recording gear is sold in the millions and recording seems to
> be actively encouraged by some parties.

I believe I read about this a while back - legal recording of TV is for
personal use in order to watch something you would otherwise have missed...
I believe that building libraries of feature films taped from the TV is
technically illegal...

The whole model is just wrong in my view. But I don't know how to ensure
> artists get a fair fee for their work but consumers also have the
> freedom to copy stuff as they wish.

With music I think the model will veer towards live performance and
merchandise... personally I would much rather have a nice shiny CD with
artwork, lyrics, background material etc. than a load of MP3 files but as
more and more music is downloaded I can see that this will become harder to
sustain - the recorded music will, I think, become a promotional tool for
live performance and CD covers etc. will be purchased separately from the
music itself (ie. purchase the jewel case and the booklet from a
website/shop etc. and then download the music for free to go with it)...

Sean