[ubuntu-uk] The BBC Launches Wiiplayer??? WHAT!?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 20:38:16 BST 2008

Jake Bunce wrote:
> Maybe someone should make the BBC aware of their Purpose and Values
> statement. As per http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/purpose/
>

>       Public purposes
>
> The BBC is a unique institution, owned by the British people and
> independent of political and commercial interests.
>

> By only allowing users of a certian operating system, which has to be
> paid for, does that not constitute as a "commercial interest"?

I guess you could say that.  If the beeb made the video available in a
standard format, say MP4 (due to the fairly good quality and small file
size), or even better using their own video codec then I'm sure it would
  not be in any commercial interest especially as a whole load of
devices (PCs, Macs, Linux machines, mobile devices, even the Nintendo DS
with the right hardware) can play MP4 video.

If they can make it free to air over the airwaves and also on satellite
when why not to residents in the UK.

Rob