[ubuntu-uk] Using Binary(closed source) drivers for modern NVIDIA cards (9 series)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Apr 7 17:37:45 BST 2008

Kris Douglas wrote:
> Hi, my newest computer is running on a 9600GT NVidia card. These are
> brilliant in windows, but for Linux, Ubuntu 7.10 in my case, it does

[snip lots of good stuff]

> and pressing return on your keyboard, once rebooted, you should be
> presented with a 3d enabled, working X server.
>
> /end.
>
> /Ok, the actual email.
> Ok guys, I know this is a Mailing list with many linux savvies, and
> some new users, but this is really just a beta of this tutorial, as I
> have seen quite a few people moaning about installing drivers for
> their card on Linux, especially Ubuntu, as some users aren't even
> presented a GUI for the Live CD installer, just a command line. I
> intend to add 2 versions of this, one to get the X server working for
> a Live CD, which obviously wouldn't have a reboot. And the one above
> for the desktop users, that have just got a new card.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had anything to add to this, and whether it
> is worth posting it at all.

I think it is invaluable, however, I personally do not need the detail
in present circumstances. However, I wonder if the value will be found
easily in future with this list as a vehicle? My first call in times
of such problems would be the ubuntu forums, and they have very good
search management facility.
I suggest you consider posting the same information to the ubuntu
forums, probably 'multimedia and video'
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138
where the value will endure.
--