[ubuntu-uk] creation of a dual boot desktop from scratch

Alec Wright alecjw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 21:04:24 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 20:02 +0100, rosemurgy at googlemail.com wrote:
> I thought I'd install XP first (the online tutorials I've found seem
> to assume that windows is installed before creating a dual build
> machine - which is logical enough as so many are sold with it
> pre-installed) and create partions on the single hdd as follows:
> an ntfs partion (for XP)
> a system partion for ubuntu
> a swap partion for ubuntu
> a small fat32 'shared partion' in case I want to move any files between
I'd get rid of the FAT32. Ubuntu has almost perfect read/write NTFS
support and windows (with added drivers) has almost perfect ext2/3 (the
main Linux filesystems) support.
Or if you want to be really safe, you can make the NTFS partition FAT32
itself. XP can run off of either NTFS or FAT32. But if you want vista
(yeuch), you'll have to use NTFS.
--
Alec Wright <alecjw at gmail.com>