[ubuntu-uk] EU-topia? No Windows in EU ? Should we contribute?[Scanned]

Paul Brunt paul.brunt at armourhe.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 14:12:36 BST 2007

Sakjur wrote:
> 2007/9/27, Eddie Armstrong <eddie_armstrong at ntlworld.com
> <mailto:eddie_armstrong at ntlworld.com>>:
>
>     Having read the submission by the Global Institute  (PDF)
>     <http://www.globalisation.eu/publications/unbundlingmicrosoftwindows.pdf
>     >
>     and this scary bit of nonsense Linux to finally kill Windows'
>     <http://diary.bluemango.in/?p=110>(who wrote this - anybody
>     know?), I'm
>     wondering if Ubuntu-UK should add it's weight to this argument and
>     submit an 'informed' opinion to the debate.
>     What do we think about this proposal?
>
>     My personal, unbiased opinion (to be qualified later): Is "Yes! Yes!
>     Yes! Go for it, Yerp!!!!" but then I've always been the quiet type
>     :-)
>     Eddie
>
>     --
>     ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
>

> Hey... EU is evil! They're just like USA! I don't like an United
> States of Europe...
> And they also force a lot stupid things... they force our armies in
> war "to defence the inhabitants..."
> The only good thing they ever done is the debate against Microsoft...
> Have you read that the second leader of EU would like EU to censor
> some sentances... like: howto build bomb and so on..
>
> That's only my opinion...
> // Emil
I would have said comparing the EU to the USA is a bit of a stretch, at
least we have a say in the EU. I believe they have also shielded us in
the UK from a lot of new draconian laws. When it's a choice between daft
and draconian I know which I would pick ;-) But anyway that's a little
off subject.

My personal opinion is it would be great to septate the OS from the
machine and give Ubuntu a chance; but, then I think how would I feel if
I went out, brought a toaster and it wouldn't make my toast until I had
toasted a dozen pop-tarts :-)

Paul