[ubuntu-uk] cache size - firefox (and googlevideo downloads)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Sep 26 12:40:20 BST 2007

I rarely capture streaming video and it seems I am often facing new
issues  :-)

I have become experienced with using firefox  to view a clip, then
using the firefox cached file to replay the clip off line.

However an OLPC video of one hour seems to exceed a size and things do
not work.

the olpc clip is
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4285568518538296189&q=user%3A%22Google+engEDU%22&total=538&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6

and it plays ok, I can also see a cache file (files) increasing in
size with time by invoking konqueror refresh occasionally (I am using
kubuntu 7.04).

In firefox preferences I have set preferences>content>file types>
manage to ask that swf and spl files (flash) are saved to disk, and
set the Advanced> Network cache size to 2000MB of cache size. However,
the firefox cache file seems to reach 60MB and then stop increasing in
size (then disappears!). This corresponds to about 45 minutes of the
61 minute clip. when the 2000MB cache size was a smaller number, the
cached file stopped at a smaller size, so maybe I will try using an
even larger number.  (I did, but it did not seem to change the
automatic disappearance of the cache file at least. Not sure what file
size was attained though)

I have watched the particular clip now so many times that I know it by
heart (my various experiments) - but I am still curious about what is
happening to limit the cache file.

Shorter videos play ok too (for example 15 minutes), but the cache
files seem to persist and do not disappear!

comments appreciated
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391